Did You Know? Installment #1 – Permits

In the aftermath of the dissolution of the Civic Associations, the GHCP Covenant and County Ordinances Committee has been hard at work researching how existing County ordinances might overlap with our community covenants.  The Committee has uncovered a wealth of information and is ready to share!  Thus begins a recurring series of articles to help keep residents informed about property covenants and county codes and ordinances.  These informational articles will be posted and stored on our website (gh-cp.org) for easy access.

This first installment provides guidance on permit applications and how to report zoning and permit violations to Westmoreland County.  For example, a zoning permit is required to install a shed on a GH-CP property, a lot that must already have a residence.  Easy to apply for and inexpensive, it ensures the shed is appropriately positioned on the property, respecting lot line setbacks and distance to waterways.  For more information, visit:  https://www.westmoreland-county.org/building-zoning/ where you will find additional links for supporting documents and applications.  You often can apply for a permit online at:  https://westmorelandva.portal.iworq.net/portalhome/westmorelandva

Another great resource is the ability to verify your own or someone else’s zoning or building permit.  Visit:  https://westmorelandva.portal.iworq.net/WESTMORELAND/permits/600 where you can search the database by permit #, permit date, owner, site address, applicant name, and subdivision.

To make inquiries or report suspected violations, you can call Westmoreland County Land Use at: 804-493-0120 or email: landuse@westmoreland-county.org.  Other ways to report suspected violations include texting Land Use at the keyword WCLANDUSE and your tip to 847411.  You can also submit an anonymous tip online at: https://www.tip411.com/tips/new?alert_group_id=21527


posted 10.27.23